This EASY to use genuine JSP kit will determine the karat value and purity of Gold, Silver, and Platinum Jewelry, scrap, bars, coins, and much more! Simply apply scratch the test stone with your jewelry and apply a drop of the acid to the stone and watch the results appear! Our solutions are guaranteed to be FRESH!
- JSP Platinum Testing Acid Solution 0.5 oz. (14 g)
- GTE 2''x2'' Test Stone
- Easy to read and follow instructions!
A MUST-HAVE for anyone who invests in gold, silver, or platinum!
NOTE: These solutions will dull the polishing of the piece, and leave a mark where the acid was placed. It is advised to always use a test stone to protect your jewelry.
TESTING FOR GOLD
1. Scratch the piece to be tested over the surface of a testing stone —press firmly, leaving a visible deposit, preferably a line 1'' long.
2. Add a drop of the 10K solution to the scratched area. If the solution dissolves the scratch on the stone, the object is less than 10K gold or not gold at all. If the solution leaves the scratch intact, the object is 10K gold or greater than 10K gold.
3. Repeat the scratching and testing with the 14K solution. If the solution dissolves the scratch on the stone, the object is less than 14K gold (if the scratch dissolves slowly and leaves rusty color particles, it is probably 12K gold). If the solution leaves the scratch intact, the object is 14K gold or greater than 14K. CAUTION: Many objects are marked 14K, but were fabricated prior to 1982 when it was legal to mark items 14K, but in reality, the gold was 13.5K. When testing 13.5K gold, the 14K solution will not dissolve the scratch, but it will make the scratch lose its brightness, making it turn a yellow-rusty color.
4. Repeat the scratching and testing with the 18K and 22K solutions (if available) to determine the karat of the object. When the solution dissolves the scratch slowly and leaves rusty color particles, the tested piece is probably two karats lower than the solution being used. For accurate testing, we recommend that the user becomes familiar with comparative testing using standard gold testing needles. Note: Heavyweight items such as chains and coins may be plated. Make a deep notch in the piece and perform testing on the metal inside.
TESTING FOR SILVER
Simply scratch the test stone with your jewelry and apply a drop of the silver acid solution to the stone and watch the results appear! The color reaction of the solution on the jewelry will be as follows:
90%‐100%= Creamy color 77%‐90% = Gray color 65%‐75% = Light Green color
TESTING FOR PLATINUM AND WHITE GOLD
Transfer a drop of the platinum test solution to the jewelry. If the area stays a white, bright color, it is real Platinum. Platinum test liquid can also be used for 18k and 14K white gold. In the case of 18K, the solution on the jewelry should start changing to a light bronze color in about 3 minutes. For 14K white gold, the solution on the jewelry should disappear in about 15 seconds!
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us. We look forward to serving you in the future.
1 YEAR GUARANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS! TEST ACIDS LAST UP TO 1 YEAR IF STORED SEALED IN A COOL AND DARK PLACE.
CAUTION Use extreme care in handling gold and silver testing solutions, for they are, corrosive acids. Always wear gloves when testing. In case of skin contact, flush with large amounts of water. Then treat the affected areas with sodium bicarbonate or baking soda. If swallowed, contact a physician or hospital at once. In the case of spills, treat with water and then sodium bicarbonate or baking soda.